Friday, June 6, 2008

Misery Signals - Controller

I'll keep this review pretty short and sweet. Bottom line, Misery Signals' Controller is hands down their best all around release. I will admit the record doesn't have as many memorable tracks, or the tracks don't live up to some of the more notable songs like "The Failsafe" or "In Summary of What I am" just to name a few, BUT this record works perfectly as one collective effort.
Overall, the record is notably faster, dwelling more on their influence from bands like Shai Hulud, which has always garnered the bands comparison. The record is put together nicely, and comes across alot more "thrashy" which seems to be a new trend upon heavy bands, however Misery Signals does it well.
This record is simply stunning, and only has a few low points. Lyrically, I think this record is great, however in possibly my favorite song lyrically "Parallels" the song is ruined when the singer drops the FBOMB out of nowhere. I have nothing against cussing in records, trust me, I don't, but it was very out of place and odd. Also, on the track "Labyrinthian" they showcase probably their most brutal side ever in the last 30 seconds of this song, however everything else leading up to is basically a snooze.
The record will hold its on amongst others for record of the year, but has quite the competition.

FINAL GRADE: A

No comments: