Sunday, April 29, 2007

Dance Gavin Dance- Downtown Battle Mountain

I myself am kind of weirded out about how many Rise Records releases i've done already this month, and for the most part, none of them have been terrible to the point where it makes me not want to listen to music, but none of them have really stood out to me.
That is until now.
With all the other records i've heard from this label, I was just very skeptical. However, this CD is incredible. Off the bat, I realized it was one of the most original sounding screamoesque records i've heard in a long time. While the band's sound is familiar, it is not watered down, or a rip-off by anymeans. Instead, they perfectly blend various types of music, from metal, to post-emo, to rock, to R&B, and (of course) post-hardcore. Basically this record reminds me of Circa Survive, Vanna, and some Beloved. The guitars are beautiful and ambient, technical and rich. Th vocal melodies are superb and so complex they remind me (seriously) of singers like Usher. Every time I draw that conclusion I laugh at myself, but it really is the truth, it's rare to find vocal progressions like these in modern music anymore, ESPECIALLY in the third leg of post-hardcore.
One thing that hasn't been mentioned are the screams. They are terrorizing, in a goodway, they are everywhere, both scary and obsessive, reminding me of From Autumn to Ashes Too Bad You're Beautiful.
Not a whole lot of set backs, actually none at all, however, I wold have like to seen this band branch out a little bit with their talents and right something with a quicker pace, or even something incredibly ambient, but regardless, this record is phenomenal, and a diamond in an over saturated, carbon copied rough.

FINAL GRADE: A-

No comments: