Friday, April 27, 2007

Chasing Victory- Fiends


This is the third release (seond full-length) from good friends of mine, Chasing Victory. I've known the guys for maybe 3 years now and i've seen them go through MANY changes. With that said, I can safely say, it didn't surprise me that this CD came out the way it did.
I didn't care for a handful of things on their previous record, including random songs, bad lyrics etc, and i've always been a fan of their debut E.P.
Fiends is probably one of the most original records i've heard in a long time. It's a strange mixture of dance rock, ambient guitars, and signature Chasing Victory screamo. I can honestly give them alot of credit for creating such original songs. Also, the CD is as consistent as a band can get. All the songs have the same tones to them (a darker record), the vocals have the same presence, which is all aiding to the quality of the record.
Lyrically, I think there are high points, but DEFINATE low points lyrically. Some of the lyrics are just way too cheesy, especially for the seriousness of the music.
Also the style change really doesn't do a whole lot of justice to me, though I can thouroughly enjoy the CD, I don't enjoy it the same way i've enjoyed any Chasing Victory prior to this. If Fiends is the "new" Chasing Victory, then the band of old will be laid to rest, much like "old" Underoath is just a different band.
I will stand by this opinion for this record, as I did for the last record. While I don't think that Chasing Victory has reached their full potential as a band, I do think that they have progressed tremendously. While they are probably going to lose some fan-base, I do feel like the direction they are going in, is the direction they want to go in, and will probably reach full potential at.
Like it or not.

FINAL GRADE: B

No comments: