Friday, April 20, 2007

Before Their Eyes- S/T



Before Your Eyes consists of former Drama Summer vocalist, and I guess a handfull of other random people. This in all honesty was the only thing that drew me to this record. Not that I ever really cared for The Drama Summer, but I dunno, curiosity I guess.
Their S/T is their debut on Rise Records, once again, home of a bunch of young bands that sound alot alike. Anyways, I guess i'll come out and say it, this band is quite original. They create a blend of pop-punk, rock, and screamo with some pretty heavy licks hear and there. The problem with this is that im not so sure they blend them together all that great, but that's a personal taste issue, im sure kids are gonna eat this up one way or another.
I do think some of the heavy parts of this record are just inda thrown in there, but I am impressed with the way they have written them. They are like rock guitar riffs, distorted and made metal. I dunno it's just weird.
I think the biggest set backs on this record are actually the vocals. There is ALOT of distinct auto-tune on his voice, mainly due to the fact that producer Joey Sturgis (Emarosa, TDWP, Gwen Stacy) doesnt do a good job, nor has he ever done a good job, at masking the auto tune. It sounds as if the singer is using a synthesizer to sing.
Also, some of his melody progressions are just off.
Bottom line, im digging what this band is trying to do, but im not really feeling the music, not awful though.

FINAL GRADE: C+

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Do the majority of some labels have the same majority of 'genre'? Also guess it would go to show if anyone read or anything about who wrote those songs...just sayin or a hint. Nick is a very well singer but for anymore thought about it all for the so called banter against the rise label and/or their bands than is there something against emarosa since they can write their own music and it be good and outside of the 'chug chug' theme where you can strum aimlessly without touching a fret, just sayin
etc etc

Unknown said...

I don't know the singer of BTE personally, nor have I seen them live, so I can't pass a judgment on his ACTUAL singing talents. However, I am judging by the release of this record, which TRUST me, isn't anything on him, it's more so on the producer of the album. Everyone uses auto-tune on their voices, this is no lie, but it's just very noticeable.
Also it wasn't the fact that the singer was bad or not, I just didn't care much for some of his melody progressions. This CD isn't bad by any means, I just wasn't feeling it.
As for Emarosa, I have nothing against those guys at all, I know them personally, and I've acknowledged the fact that they are great song writers, I just thought their record sounded like alot of the other bands that are already out (which is similiar to, im guessing, the metalcore carbon copies you're suggesting to).

But yes, simplistic breakdowns are incredibly overdone, and overused.
That's why bands like ABR, and Misery Signals are branching out with tempo changes, and time signature changes in breakdowns to make them more complicated.

Thanks for the comment though!
Discussions like these are more than welcomed :-)