Tuesday, April 21, 2009

MeWithoutYou - Am I Missing Something?



I put an old picture of the band on here for a reason. I remember hearing MeWithoutYou on a SolidState sampler CD 2003. The band was so different and original it was scary. There was an angsty poetic feeling behind their presence, the aggressiveness of a Post-Hardcore band, and the revolutionary qualities of a band like At The Drive-In.

When hitting the frontlines with their record label full-length debut A-B Life, the band delivered. After that they started moving away from the style, moving towards a more indie and rootsy feel.Personally, I didn't mind this change at first with the deliverance of Catch for Us The Foxes. From there the trend progressed further into the more indie stylings.

I recently got a preview of the new album and it has gone even further. I don't mind good indie music, and I can see where people who are deeply rooted in uber indie rock styles, but this just isn't catching for me.

Namely, my biggest peeve of this whole thing is the lyrics. Mostly a cross between animals and food of all things, but they're everywhere. At least when Bob Dylan did he was blatantly on drugs. And if that's the case for this band, I would at least like for them to let me know.

Regardless, i'll probably get nailed for this by MWY fans, but i'm sorry, i'm just missing it with this band. It's one of those things where I say, "what's the big deal?"

1 comment:

Dan said...

i'm ok with listening to the new album, but i do often wonder about the drastic sound/lyric changes.

it puzzles me.