Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Anberlin - New Surrender



I have to admit that I was shocked when I had heard that Anberlin was making another record as soon as they were. The follow up to their highly successful, and impressive title Cities, is New Surrender.

This album is rough before listening, simply because of the fact that it's the follow up to what was probably their career defining record. From the start I have to admit I was scratching my head. The songs seem as if they would have been on one of their previous records, almost a digression of maturity. The songs lack presence, and the melodies aren't as straight forward as many of their songs, and like most Anberlin records some songs stick out as being good, but other are simply forgettable.

For most Anberlin fans, I think all will like this record, however this will not be the album they are remembered for, and i'm sure if they have a deep catalog, this may even be the one that is disregarded as whole. Not saying the record is bad, it just doesn't have the presence and larger than life power pop prowess in which was so apparent in previous releases.

Now that isn't saying this record doesn't have high points. Perhaps the best track is one of the better Anberlin songs i've heard in a while, the last track "Misearbile Visu" sounds like it came directly out of a Death Cab For Cutie record, and sounds quite impressive for the soul fact that it's different. Maybe it's not the direction I or most fans would want to see them take completely, but it's a good track.
Also pop heavy songs like "Haight St." will keep you singing over and over again. I actually love this song. There are some other really great tracks on this one, but I think the lowest point of this record is in the re-recorded version of "The Feel Good Drag" which was on of the more powerful tracks on their sophomore effort Never Take Friendship Personal. The song just sounds terrible re-recorded, and it's way too stripped down from the original. It sounds like a b-side.

Though this isn't their best effort, I think it's worth picking up, just don't go out of your way to learn the words to every song, simply because I don't think most of them will end up on set lists down the road.

FINAL GRADE: B-

No comments: